Planning an England highway journey? Listed below are a few of the greatest itinerary concepts for all schedules, together with London to Cornwall, the Cotswolds and Kent in southern England, Nationwide Parks just like the Lake District or Peak District, Northern England and all the best way as much as the Scottish border.
No matter your cup of tea, there’s a UK highway journey concept right here for you. We’ve additionally offered a useful map so you’ll be able to visualise your route.
*We work onerous to make this the perfect motorhome weblog and highway journey web site doable, filled with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so if you happen to purchase by means of hyperlinks on this website we might earn a commission- at no additional price to you. All opinions stay our personal.
For those who discover this submit helpful, you’ll be able to additionally deal with us to a espresso – we promise to get pleasure from it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we’d even bask in a biscuit (or two!)
UK Highway Journeys- The best way to Plan
Planning a UK highway journey to England or elsewhere might be robust.
There are SO MANY locations, concepts, choices and reviews- how on earth are you supposed to decide on one of the best ways or most scenic drives?
Then, you need to consider how lengthy you may have to your UK highway journey (remembering that a lot of rural UK has smaller, slower roads, so it takes loads longer to get there than you would possibly anticipate.
So, if you happen to’re planning a highway journey round England (and the UK) and feeling overwhelmed, listed here are a few of our favorite highway journeys and itinerary concepts that can assist you. We’ll focus on the perfect bits of every space, why and when it is best to go to, how far it’s from London and the place it is best to permit additional time to discover.
England Highway Journey Concepts- The place to Begin
The very first thing to determine is the place you need to go to in your highway journey. Additionally, do not forget that England is just one part of the UK- there are a number of different nations to discover (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Eire make up the UK).
So, if you wish to do a full UK highway journey, you’ll want extra time than if you happen to have been simply doing an England highway journey.
Our largest tip is to not overface your self. Whether or not you solely have a protracted weekend for a fast journey from London or per week to get out on the open highway and tour, be sure to depart time to really get out of your car and discover the locations you’re visiting- you’ll discover loads of historic websites, sandy seashores and unbelievable routes to get pleasure from.
Roughly talking, you’ll be able to cut up England in half- the South of England and the North (the road roughly goes by means of Birmingham) and even additional into quarters if you happen to solely have time for a one-week highway journey.
Once more, how far you’ll be able to journey will rely upon how a lot time you may have, in addition to how you might be travelling (rental automotive, motorhome or public transport), however to do every half ‘correctly’ we’d advocate a minimum of 2-3 weeks- particularly if it’s your first time in England.
Having mentioned that, you’ll be able to see a few of the greatest sights in much less time than that- right here’s our one week in England highway journey itinerary.
The place to remain throughout your England highway journey
For those who’re planning a motorhome or campervan journey, you’ll have the ability to journey and cease alongside the best way, usually with out reserving upfront, utilizing schemes like Brit Stops or wild tenting in your motorhome.
For those who’re in a automotive or motorcycle, there are PLENTY of lodges and BnBs to make use of en route. For those who’re travelling in summer time we advocate reserving a minimum of the primary cease in advance- if you happen to use Reserving.com for all of your lodging you’ll discover you will get a fantastic deal and save some huge cash.
England Highway Journey Map
I understand how onerous it may be to visualise locations if you happen to don’t know the nation properly, so right here’s a map of England with a number of of the highway journey locations proven on it.
Out of curiosity, if you happen to did this route, it’s about 1056 miles (1700km) lengthy. You may technically do it in per week, however you’d barely have time to get out of the automotive!
Widespread England Highway Journey Questions
How lengthy does it take to drive the entire of England?
Many individuals marvel “How lengthy does it take to drive the entire of England?” That’s a troublesome query, as there are such a lot of locations to go and relies upon loads in your start line.
Most individuals permit 2-3 weeks to drive by means of as a lot of England as they will, however that can contain a LOT of driving. In fact, you’ll be able to check out the highway journey itinerary concepts under and see which scenic route or quaint villages most attraction to you- after which plan your journey round that.
One widespread UK highway journey concept is to drive from Land’s Finish in Cornwall all the best way as much as John o’Groats in Scotland, which is about 838miles (1350km). Clearly, this can be a highway journey which includes England AND Scotland, and that brings me to a different essential level.
Can we go to England by highway?
It is a widespread query for anybody who doesn’t reside within the UK- and the quick reply is sure, you’ll be able to drive to England from mainland Europe.
Whether or not you’re having fun with a European highway journey (listed here are some concepts for you), or need to mix a visit to England with one other nation, you’ll be able to drive to England from Europe by way of both the Eurotunnel or taking certainly one of a number of automotive ferries (additionally they take motorhomes/ campervans on a lot of the ferry routes.)
For those who’re planning a highway journey from France to England, which route you are taking will rely upon which a part of France and England you need to visit- discover out extra in our Eurotunnel vs Ferry submit.
And if you happen to’re going the opposite means and will probably be driving in Europe, be sure to are conscious of the brand new guidelines for driving in Europe after BREXIT.
For those who’re like extra assist planning your journey, this submit about learn how to plan an epic UK highway journey will assist.
Is England the UK or Nice Britain?
Neither. And a part of each 🙂
It’s widespread for individuals to confuse an England highway journey with a UK highway journey. England is only one nation throughout the UK, together with Wales, Scotland and Northern Eire. If you wish to prolong your journey and see extra of these nations, you would possibly get pleasure from our submit on the greatest UK highway journeys and scenic drive concepts.
The UK is brief for ‘The UK of Nice Britain and Northern Eire’.
Nice Britain is the LANDMASS of the most important island within the British Isles (the one which makes up England, Wales and Scotland). Northern Eire, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are usually not included on this.
And, to make issues much more odd, the British Isles contains ALL the islands, together with the entire of Eire, which isn’t a part of the UK in any respect.
Completely confused? Okay, let’s simply stick with England highway journey concepts! 🙂
South England Highway Journey Concepts
For those who’re visiting London and need to discover a part of the nation for a couple of days, southern England is an efficient place to start out. In fact, there are a HUGE variety of locations to discover in ‘South England’ (which is roughly classed as wherever under Birmingham), so I’m simply going to choose a couple of highlights to encourage you.
Cornwall- South West England
Cornwall is certainly one of my favorite locations to highway journey in England. I spent 2 years dwelling there while I used to be within the Navy, and have been again many occasions since. There are many issues to do in Cornwall, however there are some essential suggestions you could know earlier than you arrive!
Why is Cornwall probably the greatest England highway journeys?
If you’d like cute villages, unbelievable seashores and extra historical past than you’ll be able to shake a stick at, Cornwall is ideal. Additionally, they’ve a few of the greatest ice cream IN THE WORLD (no kidding) and it’s completely acceptable to eat a scone with jam and clotted cream EVERY day and nobody will decide you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There’s intense rivalry between Devon and Cornwall over whether or not jam or cream ought to go first on a scone. In Cornwall, they do jam and THEN cream, which is seemingly the best way the Queen most well-liked her scones.
(Don’t fear, they’re used to vacationers and received’t stone you if you happen to get it improper. However be warned if you wish to reside there…!)
In Devon, they do it the opposite means. I’ve tried each, and I’m a jam first lady (as a result of you’ll be able to then put extra cream on!)
When do you have to go to Cornwall?
Cornwall is greatest anytime between Easter and mid-October.
TOP TIP: Keep away from July and August if you happen to presumably can. The colleges are on vacation and it seems like EVERYONE in England has travelled to the identical small Cornish village as you.
Seashores are overcrowded, parking turns into a battle and there’s a really actual probability of outlets operating out of ice cream. Don’t try this to your self. You deserve that ice cream.
Additionally, many companies and points of interest shut after mid-October for the winter, so that you would possibly discover you’ll be able to’t do every little thing you need to exterior the season.
Having mentioned that, we discover Cornwall probably the greatest locations to get pleasure from Autumn in Europe– the climate remains to be heat, however all over the place is quieter and simpler to get to.
How lengthy do you have to spend roadtripping Cornwall?
How lengthy is a chunk of string!! However, as you’ll be able to see on our Cornish highway journey itinerary, we advocate 7-10 days minimal to see all the perfect locations.
The place are the perfect locations to go to in Cornwall on a highway journey?
Did I point out that I used to reside right here? I’ve SO many suggestions for locations to go to we might be right here all week!!! A few of my absolute favourites (and that is like selecting my favorite baby… or chocolate bar) embody:
- Tintagel Fort (the house of Arthur and the spherical desk)
- Minack Theatre (constructed onto the facet of a cliff)
- St Michael’s Mount
- Boscastle (the place probably the greatest witchcraft museums on the planet is!)
- Newquay seaside (and bars!)
Beneficial by Ben at Driftwood Journals
Famed for its countless rolling hills, craggy coastlines and clotted cream delights, Devon is unsurprisingly one of the vital in style locations within the UK – and a dream for rural road-trippers! With wild moors galore, cutesy cities and villages, and bountiful seashores, you don’t need to drive far in Devon to come upon scenes of unparalleled magnificence.
Highlights and greatest locations to go to in Devon
- Dartmouth- probably the greatest cities within the county (and residential of the Royal Naval Officer coaching. I spent a 12 months right here…operating up these bl***y hills!) Rent a ship and discover the river.
- Paignton- the seaside with the pink sand and is also referred to as the English Riviera.
- Dartmoor Nationwide Park
- Exmoor Nationwide Park
- Exmouth with its stunning painted homes
- Salcombe Harbour – a vacation hotspot for all generations.
- Dulverton- head to the Copper Kettle tearoom; you received’t remorse it!
Devon highway journey concepts
Pack up your motorhome/ camper (or automotive with tent) and discover a website with views throughout the Devonshire cow-grazed hillsides of the Lyn Valley, or out over Dartmoor. You possibly can wild camp in Devon, however not on the moors. Discover out extra about motorhome wild tenting within the UK.
For a coastal journey, discover sea cities like Salcombe and Dartmouth (the place you’ll be able to take a ship as much as Greenway, Agatha Christie’s summer time dwelling) and spherical to Exmouth, earlier than heading north to Woolacombe, Dawlish and the fishing boat bobbing harbour of Ilfracombe. Benefit from the bustle and tradition within the capital of Exeter or uncover the infamous jail of Dartmoor.
Alternatively, head to North Devon and benefit from the wilder seas and views of the north coast. It is a nice space for browsing and watersports.
When you’ve got extra time (and gasoline) to burn, take to the A386 between Appledore and Plymouth, traversing by means of forested valleys to picture-perfect cities like Nice Torrington and Tavistock, the place you’ll be able to tour the tearooms and plan the remainder of your journey within the park whereas dangling your toes within the River Tavy.
However the true great thing about highway tripping in Devon is that you simply don’t really want to plan too extensively. You’ll by no means be removed from a cream tea pitstop, and the verdant nation roads will provide up a few of the most excellent picnic spots you’ll ever see. All you want is is a full tank, and just a little persistence when caught behind tractor after tractor!
When is the perfect time to go to Devon on a highway journey?
As with Cornwall, the perfect time to go to Devon is Spring to Autumn, however keep away from the excessive summer time months if you happen to can, particularly if you happen to’re on a UK motorhome vacation.
Are you able to go to Devon on a day journey from London?
You possibly can, nevertheless it’s fairly a protracted drive. I’d say you’d want a minimum of 2 or 3 days to essentially have the ability to discover something.
Dorset- One in every of England’s Greatest Highway Journeys
Beneficial by Paul | Wherever We Roam
The Jurassic Coast stretches 95 miles throughout Dorset in southern England. With an iconic shoreline of towering white cliffs, it’s a wonderful vacation spot for a basic highway journey. Gorgeous surroundings, historic websites and native breweries make the Jurassic Coast probably the greatest locations to expertise the gorgeous English countryside.
Dorset highway trip- greatest locations to go to?
The principle spotlight of a highway journey to Dorset within the space needs to be Outdated Harry Rocks – a set of white stone monoliths which were carved out alongside the coast. It’s one of the vital spectacular stretches of surroundings within the UK with dazzling chalk stacks assembled like a jigsaw puzzle ready to be accomplished. For those who get time, be sure you get pleasure from one of many many fabulous Dorset walks- you received’t remorse it.
A thirty-minute drive away, Corfe Fort stands as a reminder of England’s Eleventh-Century previous. It was one of many earliest Norman castles constructed and right now it glows in its dilapidated glory overlooking the Dorset hills. It’s a surprising, photogenic inclusion on a UK highway journey.
For an additional pure phenomenon, Durdle Door is presumably one of the vital recognisable symbols of the Jurassic Coast. Over time, crashing waves have eroded limestone stacks within the sea leaving a wonderful pure arch.
It’s a gorgeous stretch of seaside, superb for a protracted summer time stroll. It’s additionally subsequent to the well-known Lulworth Cove, which is a superb place to get pleasure from an ice cream!
Editors be aware: (I (Kat) truly jumped off the highest of Durdle Door on my hen social gathering!)
After absorbing the beautiful surroundings, head west to Lyme Regis, a quaint city with a vibrant impartial retail scene. The historic Cobb Harbour set in opposition to moody cliffs is well-preserved and homes a few of the greatest espresso within the space.
When is the perfect time to go to Dorset on an England highway journey?
The most effective time to go to the Jurassic Coast on a highway journey is from Could to early July when the encompassing countryside will probably be verdant inexperienced and coated in wildflowers, however there’s not an excessive amount of visitors!
Hampshire highway journey
Hampshire is one other county in England we all know properly, having lived right here for 14+ years. There’s a lot to get pleasure from on a highway journey to Hampshire, from stunning cities to picturesque nation homes.
Highlights of a Hampshire highway journey
A few of our favorite locations to go to in Hampshire embody:
- Winchester- be sure you go to the Cathedral the place Jane Austen is buried and you’ll see one of many oldest Bibles on the planet. For those who’re fortunate sufficient to be visiting in December, don’t miss the well-known Winchester Christmas Market, held within the Cathedral grounds every December.
- Highclere Fort (or Downton Abbey, as you would possibly realize it!)
- Lymington – for the oldest open sea water baths within the UK – and the New Forest (try the Wildlife park there and ensure to take some memorable photographs).
- Hinton Ampner- 18th century well-known manor home identified for its gardens.
- Portsmouth (you MUST go to the Mary Rose museum and HMS Victory)
- Isle of Wight (see under)
Isle of Wight highway journey
Beneficial by Darek | DarekandGosia
The Isle of Wight, well-known for its stunning views, is an island on the south coast of England, just under Southampton. Technically, it’s a part of Hampshire, however seems like a distinct world.
With a motorhome or automotive, you’ll be able to attain the island by ferry from both Southampton or Portsmouth – e-book upfront throughout summer time. There are additionally a few foot passenger ferries and a hovercraft from Southsea.
Why is it certainly one of England’s greatest highway journeys?
The Isle of Wight is like going again in time. It’s value a highway journey right here for even a weekend, to flee the hustle and bustle of regular life, trip bikes and take a stroll on the cliffs.
Additionally, there are some fantastic locations to remain. For those who’re on a highway journey, try these superb Isle of Wight campsites– some with beautiful sea views!
What’s there to do?
You can begin exploring the island in Shanklin – one of many coastal villages well-known for its stunning seashores. On the promenade alongside the ocean you will see many eating places and lodges – a lot of the Island is often tourist-oriented.
From Shanklin drive to the western a part of the island. Essentially the most attribute level is The Needles – three chalk rocks rising from the ocean with a small lighthouse constructed on the finish of one of many columns. You may get to Needles by automotive after which observe the trail on foot to the cliff slope. It’s a wonderful place for a picnic.
Subsequent to Needles is Outdated Battery, a navy fortification relationship from the nineteenth century. There you’ll find World Struggle II memorabilia or go to one of many numerous exhibitions are additionally happening.
Whereas driving across the island be sure to get to Carisbrooke Fort close to Newport. Its development started within the twelfth century. It’s value taking a second to stroll across the fort, calm down within the Edwardian-style backyard.
One in every of my favorite locations on the Island is Osborne Home- Queen Victoria’s summer time dwelling. You possibly can stroll across the gardens and the home and even get pleasure from an ice cream on her non-public seaside. Osborne Home is run by English Heritage.
When is the perfect time to go to the Isle of Wight?
The Isle of Wight is a must-see for anybody who needs to admire the British local weather and above all improbable views. It’s value going right here all 12 months spherical – it’s truly one of many greatest locations to go to in Europe in October, when there are fewer vacationers and you’ll benefit from the views & roads!
Beneficial by Mandi | Large Household, Little Adventures
Generally you need nothing greater than to flee the hustle and the bustle of on a regular basis life, the noise, the brilliant lights, the unending tempo of life. If you wish to get away, the Norfolk Broads is pure escapism; large skies, loads of peace and quiet and an abundance of wildlife.
Greatest locations to go to in Norfolk on a highway journey
- The Outdated Roman Fort at Burgh Fort with an elevated place and commanding views over the marshes – excellent for a stroll in each winter morning frost or a scorching and hazy mid-summer night
- For those who favor a little bit of exercise, Wroxham is a bustling Broads village- dwelling to Roy’s of Wroxham, presumably the most important village store you may have ever seen
- Loads of riverside pubs and eating places in Wroxham and throughout the Broads- the right locations to cease for a chunk to eat
- St Benet’s Abbey – an Eleventh century monastery defying time, standing in a surprising inexperienced valley.
- If you’re an animal lover, you’ll get pleasure from a go to to Wroxham Barns to feed the lambs or spot the gray seals on the Norfolk seashores
Norfolk Highway Journey- when is the perfect time to go to?
You possibly can discover Norfolk all 12 months. In summer time, if you want to discover the greatest Norfolk seashores or Broads up shut, why not rent a dayboat; these might be employed at numerous boatyards all through the Broads. Waveney River Centre is one other beautiful place to cease and admire the view, both by boat or automotive.
The problem is (as at all times in England!) the climate. In dry circumstances, most paths are glorious, however it will possibly get a bit tougher in moist climate.
Nevertheless, over time, an growing variety of boardwalks have been developed, growing protected entry to the Broads regardless of the climate. Additionally, seeing the windmills and rivers on a crisp winter morning is unforgettable.
Time doesn’t cease in Norfolk, nevertheless it actually does really feel prefer it slows down. To have the ability to watch the sundown throughout the broads any time of 12 months is a magical expertise and the right place to get pleasure from a relaxing highway journey.
Sussex, Kent and Surrey
Ahhh, the picturesque south-east nook of England, which incorporates the Backyard of England (that’s the opposite identify for Kent). This space is lush, inexperienced and has some many historic buildings and castles you’ll discover it unattainable to keep away from them.
It’s additionally dwelling to loads of attractive sandy seashores, white cliffs (equivalent to Dover and Beachy Head) and a few actually fantastic parks to stroll in.
Even higher, it’s all simply reached from London by automotive and prepare, so it’s straightforward to get away from town for a couple of days if you happen to’d like a countryside break or a visit to the seaside.
Greatest Locations to go to in Sussex embody:
Sussex is definitely cut up into East and West Sussex, however to make issues straightforward in your highway journey I’ve made one listing for you. They’re not that far aside from one another!
- Brighton: A vibrant seaside metropolis well-known for its pebble seaside, iconic pier, and the Royal Pavilion with its distinctive structure. Discover the Lanes for distinctive outlets and benefit from the metropolis’s full of life arts and music scene. See under for extra concepts
- Arundel: Residence to Arundel Fort, a medieval and Victorian fort that overlooks the River Arun. The city itself is picturesque with cobbled streets and vintage outlets.
- Chichester: A historic cathedral metropolis with Roman origins, Chichester affords a mixture of historical past, tradition, and procuring. The Chichester Cathedral and Pallant Home Gallery are notable points of interest.
- Lewes: Identified for its medieval structure, Lewes Fort, and historic streets. The Lewes Bonfire Night time is a well-known annual occasion.
- Eastbourne: A standard seaside city with a Victorian pier, stunning seafront, and the long-lasting Beachy Head cliffs close by.
- Rye: An enthralling medieval city with cobbled streets, half-timbered homes, and views of the encompassing marshland.
- Battle: Well-known for the Battle of Hastings in 1066, this city is dwelling to Battle Abbey and the Battlefield. Discover the historic websites and study this pivotal occasion in English historical past.
- Petworth Home and Park: A stately mansion with a powerful artwork assortment set in an enormous deer park. The gardens are additionally value exploring.
- Seven Sisters Nation Park: A surprising coastal space with dramatic chalk cliffs and rolling hills, excellent for mountaineering and having fun with breathtaking views.
- Bodiam Fort: A 14th-century moated fort surrounded by water and picturesque landscapes.
- Sheffield Park and Backyard: A Nationwide Belief property identified for its beautiful gardens, lakes, and vibrant shows of crops.
- Birling Hole and Beachy Head: Extra beautiful chalk cliffs and coastal views, with the added great thing about the pure arch at Birling Hole.
- Glyndebourne Opera Home: Identified for its world-class opera productions, the opera home is about in stunning countryside and affords a singular cultural expertise.
Greatest locations to go to in Kent embody:
- Canterbury– dwelling to the UNESCO World Heritage Website of Canterbury Cathedral
- Dover: Identified for the long-lasting White Cliffs of Dover, this coastal city is dwelling to Dover Fort, which boasts a posh historical past and affords panoramic views of the English Channel.
- Rochester: An enthralling city with a medieval fort and cathedral. It’s additionally the birthplace of Charles Dickens, and you’ll go to the Dickens World theme park.
- Whitstable: This coastal city is legendary for its oysters and seafood. Benefit from the quaint streets, seaside huts, and seafood eating places alongside the coast.
- Margate: A seaside city with a revived inventive scene, that includes the Turner Modern artwork gallery and the scenic Margate Sands.
- Leeds Fort: Also known as the “loveliest fort on the planet,” Leeds Fort is about on an island in a lake and surrounded by stunning gardens.
- Hever Fort: The childhood dwelling of Anne Boleyn, with historic structure, gardens, and a maze.
- Chatham Historic Dockyard: A maritime museum the place you’ll be able to discover historic warships, submarines, and study Britain’s naval historical past.
- Biddenden Vineyards: For those who’re a wine fanatic, Kent has a number of vineyards. Biddenden is among the oldest and most well-known.
- Canterbury Tales Customer Attraction: An interactive museum the place you’ll be able to step again in time to expertise Chaucer’s well-known tales.
- St. Augustine’s Abbey: A UNESCO World Heritage Website, this abbey in Canterbury dates again to the sixth century and is a big historic website.
- Chartwell Home: The previous dwelling of Winston Churchill, now a museum showcasing his life and legacy.
These are just some highlights of what Kent has to supply. Whether or not you’re occupied with historical past, nature, or tradition, you’re prone to discover one thing interesting on this numerous and delightful county.
Greatest Locations to Go to in Surrey
- Field Hill: A Nationwide Belief website identified for its beautiful views and strolling trails. It’s a well-liked spot for out of doors lovers and affords panoramic vistas of the encompassing countryside.
- Polesden Lacey: A grand Edwardian property with stunning gardens, Polesden Lacey is a Nationwide Belief property that gives a glimpse into the lives of the rich within the early twentieth century.
- Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village: Positioned in Compton, this distinctive attraction is devoted to the works of Victorian artist George Frederic Watts and his spouse Mary Watts. The village features a gallery, chapel, and artist studios.
- Hampton Court docket Palace: Whereas a part of the palace is in Higher London, the beautiful Hampton Court docket Palace is correct on the border of Surrey. It’s well-known for its Tudor historical past, grand structure, and delightful gardens.
- RHS Backyard Wisley: A flagship backyard of the Royal Horticultural Society, Wisley affords all kinds of crops, landscapes, and backyard designs to discover.
- Brooklands Museum: A museum devoted to motorsport and aviation historical past, situated on the positioning of the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit.
- Loseley Park: A grand Elizabethan manor home surrounded by stunning gardens and parkland, open to the general public throughout sure occasions of the 12 months.
- Denbies Wine Property: England’s largest winery, Denbies affords excursions, wine tasting, and delightful views of the encompassing countryside.
- Newlands Nook: One other viewpoint providing breathtaking views of the Surrey Hills, excellent for picnics and out of doors actions.
- Epsom Downs: Identified for Epsom Downs Racecourse and the well-known Epsom Derby, this space affords open areas and strolling trails.
- Virginia Water: A part of Windsor Nice Park, Virginia Water contains a lake, decorative cascades, and woodland walks.
Surrey’s mixture of historic websites, pure magnificence, and cultural points of interest make it a pleasant vacation spot for quite a lot of pursuits. Whether or not you’re into historical past, out of doors actions, or just having fun with scenic landscapes, Surrey has one thing to supply.
Brighton – East Sussex
I’ve given Brighton it’s personal part as a result of it’s certainly one of my favorite cities in England and it is best to attempt to add it to your England highway journey itinerary, particularly if you happen to’re heading towards East Sussex.
Brighton is a metropolis famend for its numerous communities and innovation, the quirky procuring areas, its music and artwork scene, and its giant LGBT inhabitants. Learn extra about Brighton in Autum.
Why is Brighton probably the greatest England highway journeys?
Brighton is lower than an hour away from London (76 km) and on a direct prepare line. It affords loads of enjoyable and thrilling actions to get pleasure from (extra than simply fish and chips at a pier!)
Brighton has been well-known as a cultural centre for over a century. It’s dwelling to the world’s oldest working aquarium (which opened in 1872- now referred to as ‘’Brighton Sea Life’’), and you’ll even trip the world’s oldest working electrical railway, the Volks Railway, inbuilt 1883.
Different Brighton Highlights embody:
- See the Palace Pier
- Catch the most recent launch within the Duke of York Picturehouse, Britain’s oldest cinema.
- Have a stroll down the North Lane- dwelling to over 400 impartial outlets
- Uncover the Victorian improvements nonetheless in operation within the metropolis.
How lengthy do you have to spend in Brighton?
You’ll want to spend a minimum of two days in Brighton to really take within the metropolis, however you’ll be able to simply make per week of your itinerary if you wish to discover extra locations in Sussex, Kent and Surrey.
What’s the greatest month to go to Brighton?
The sunniest (and due to this fact warmest!) time of the 12 months in Brighton is from Could to September. July and August are peak vacationer season, with lodge costs skyrocketing, so concentrate on that and plan your keep accordingly.
Cambridgeshire & Cambridge
Cambridgeshire is a county within the East of England with a lot to do. The jewel of the county is Cambridge, with a historic, 800-year-old centre it is best to undoubtedly not skip.
Why do you have to embody Cambridge in your England highway journey?
Just one hour and half-hour away from London by way of M11, Cambridge affords a lot: a wealthy historical past of English heritage, a buzzing area people, and a picturesque setting. You’ll even discover a present Henry VIII gave to Anne Boleyn!
- See the King’s School Chapel
- Get pleasure from breakfast at Fitzbillies
- Go punting within the River Cam
- Have a picnic by the river.
- Get pleasure from strolling the historic streets
Cambridge Journey Itinerary concept
Leaving London, head as much as Cambridge by way of the M11.
Begin the day with drinks and a meal in one of many many deli and brunch locations in Market Sq. earlier than setting off to discover town. I extremely advocate the well-known Fitzbillies- the meals is scrumptious.
From there, you’ll be able to select from quite a lot of actions: visiting King’s Chapel, punting within the River Cam (move underneath the Bridge of Sighs), mountaineering on the Cam Towpath (plenty of hidden gems if you understand how to search for trails!), or taking within the metropolis views from St. Mary’s Tower.
For those who’re staying in a single day, finish the day by attending the Evensong on the King’s School Chapel (choose days solely)
When is the perfect (and worst) time to go to Cambridge?
Cambridge is gorgeous all 12 months spherical. Nevertheless, the worst time to go to can be spring – the college college students sit their finals between April and June, which implies lots of the faculty websites are closed to guests.
What are a few of the greatest locations to go to in Cambridge?
The King’s School Chapel within the College of Cambridge is the third-oldest college in operation and essentially the most iconic and instantly-recognisable constructing within the county.
Don’t miss out on a chance to drink on the Eagle, a historic pub within the coronary heart of Cambridge’s metropolis centre famously linked to Watson and Crick’s discovery of DNA.
If you’re feeling adventurous and are able to courageous the British winter, go to Cambridge in December. It’s off-peak season and options probably the greatest UK Christmas markets it is best to go to. Learn all in regards to the Cambridge Christmas market right here.
How lengthy do you have to spend in Cambridge?
Someday in Cambridge is normally sufficient time to go to nearly all of the principle sights, particularly in case you are visiting in the course of the summer time. You’ll want tickets for a lot of the chapels and college buildings, so go first to purchase these.
Wiltshire & Cotswolds Highway Journey – 3 day journey from London
Beneficial by Ann | The highway is life
The Cotswolds is the most important Space of Excellent Pure Magnificence (AONB) in England and Wales. For those who have a look at a map of England, discover Bristol (west coast, just under the indent of southern Wales) and the Cotswolds is the world north-east of Bristol.
There’s a lot magnificence and interesting historical past to find across the Cotswolds area and fortunately you don’t need to journey removed from London to get there! You possibly can attain Tub or Bristol simply in a day from London, however we advocate a minimum of 3 days to essentially discover the world by automotive/ motorhome, plus discover Stonehenge and Salisbury on the best way again to London. For those who’re travelling with youngsters, don’t worry- there’s loads of issues to do within the Cotswolds with children.
Highlights & Greatest Locations to Go to within the Cotswolds and Surrounding Space
- Discover the charming stone villages of the Cotswolds
- go to the historic metropolis of Tub
- marvel on the mysterious historic stones of Stonehenge
- Take pleasure in some procuring at Daylesford farm
- cease on the magnificent Salisbury Cathedral.
When is the perfect time for a Cotswolds highway journey?
Though the Cotswolds might be visited all 12 months, this highway journey is greatest accomplished within the spring or summer time months to make sure hotter and sunnier sightseeing climate.
The times are additionally longer- permitting you to see extra every day. Nevertheless, not like Cornwall and Devon, most locations to NOT shut throughout winter, so be at liberty to discover at any time when fits you!
Wiltshire & Cotswolds highway journey itinerary from London
- Departing London, drive out to the Cotswolds. That is the place it is best to spend 3-4 days exploring as many beautiful little cities and villages as you want to.
- Just a few of the prettiest Cotswolds villages embody Bibury, Stow-on-the-Wold, Decrease Slaughter, Bourton-on-the-Water, Fort Combe and so many extra! The great thing about the Cotswolds area is that the villages are all situated in shut proximity with minimal driving time in between them.
- After you have seen your share of beautiful English villages, stick with it to Tub which is barely a 30-minute drive from the village of Fort Combe- properly value a go to.
- Spend a full day and night time in Tub visiting the Roman baths.
- From there proceed to Stonehenge. A go to to this unbelievable historic website can simply take half a day. We camped in a single day at Stonehenge and noticed essentially the most INCREDIBLE dawn we’ve EVER seen. (Severely, watch the video. It’s breathtaking)
- From Stonehenge, it’s solely a brief 20-minute drive to the medieval city of Salisbury which brings you to the ultimate cease of this highway journey.
- The spotlight of Salisbury is the beautiful Salisbury Cathedral which has the tallest spire in all of Britain! Spend one night time in Salisbury earlier than making the ultimate 2-hour highway journey again to London.
- An alternative choice is to return to London by way of the historic metropolis of Oxford. Don’t miss a meal in Sticks and Sushi- one of many greatest eating places in Oxford and with unbelievable views over town.
North England Highway Journeys- Why You Ought to Go to
It’s straightforward when planning an England highway journey to get sucked into well-known locations like Cornwall, Devon or the Cotswolds- and people are all AMAZING locations to go to.
Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to go to the north of England as properly when you have time. You’ll discover villages simply as fairly, scrumptious meals (chips, pie and gravy is the perfect factor on the planet) and unbelievable historical past.
Once more, we have been fortunate to reside up right here for 4 years- listed here are a few of our absolute favorite locations to highway journey, though there are in fact many extra we now have but to find! I hope they provide you some concepts and inspiration to your subsequent journey.
Don’t neglect to Seize your ULTIMATE highway journey planner right here– it has every little thing you could assist you to pack to your highway journey.
Peak District Nationwide Park
The Peak District is a big and beautiful space in Derbyshire, simply to the east of Manchester. It’s an ideal place for a highway journey as a result of there are such a lot of issues to see!
A automotive or motorhome makes it straightforward to journey between the websites and there are many campsites or lodges to make use of as you discover.
There are a large number of hikes, walks and tors to climb and the world is legendary for its caves, which individuals nonetheless lived in as lately as 1910!
The Peak District was the UK’s first Nationwide Park and can also be thought-about the true ale capital of the world! For those who’re exploring the Peak District with children, there are steam trains, tramways, cycle paths and even a cable automotive taking you as much as see some beautiful views! There’s additionally Alton Towers theme park – probably the greatest within the UK.
Greatest locations to discover within the Peak District
A few of the highlights embody:
- Chatsworth Home
- Ladybower reservoir
- Alton Towers theme park
- Heights of Abraham cable automotive
Lake District highway journey
Beneficial by Fiona/ Passport & Piano
The Lake District Nationwide Park is a UNESCO heritage website that makes for the right highway journey. Strolling across the lakes and fells to see the magnificent surroundings is among the many pleasures of the world.
Quintessential villages are plentiful as are conventional English pubs with actual ale and hearty meals. Don’t simply rush by in your means from England to Scotland; take a couple of days and luxuriate in all that the lakes have to supply.
Greatest locations to go to on a Lake District Highway Journey
Most individuals arrive from the south by way of Windermere, however to discover the areas hidden gems its value spending a minimum of three days right here. The Lake District has a few of the worlds greatest scenic drives and a visit alongside the Honister Go and Kirkstone Go are a should.
Within the South Lakes, I’d extremely advocate a go to to Grasmere. Right here you’ll be able to go to a number of houses of the well-known poet William Wordsworth and luxuriate in Sarah Nelson’s pleasant gingerbread.
For those who love Beatrix Potter, you’ll be able to observe in her footsteps at Beatrix Potter World in Bowness- on- Windermere. Her dwelling close to Hawkshead is open to guests, and Wray Fort is a gorgeous spot the place she loved her household holidays.
Within the North Lakes, the cities of Keswick and Cockermouth have a lot to discover. The Castlerigg stone circle, with its beautiful views throughout the fells, is value stopping at, and the “Shock View” throughout Derwent Water is spectacular.
For those who’re not exploring in a motorhome or campervan, lodging all through the world is plentiful. There are boat rides and water-based actions to get pleasure from on a lot of the lakes and a plethora of out of doors pursuit centres for the extra adventurous.
When is the perfect time for a Lake District highway journey?
In the summertime months, the Nationwide Park might be moderately busy significantly on the principle A66 highway which runs by means of the centre. Therefore if you wish to keep away from the crowds, contemplate visiting within the spring or autumn.
When you’re not assured sunshine at any time of the 12 months, the climate might be at its greatest between April and September.
England Highway Journey- Yorkshire & The Dales
Beneficial by Sinead | Map Made Recollections
England’s largest county, Yorkshire, is an ideal vacation spot for a highway journey. There are such a lot of numerous points of interest to see inside a comparatively quick drive of one another.
Highlights and a few greatest locations in Yorkshire to go to
- Hardraw Drive–England’s highest single-drop waterfall
- White Scar–The longest present collapse England
- Go to the ‘Greatest Road in Britain’
- Go to the cobbled Shambles, named ‘the Greatest Road in Britain’.
- Marvel on the Ribblehead Viaduct, the 24 arches that span the Yorkshire Dales, a real masterpiece of Victorian engineering.
- Castles and ruins everywhere
- Stand on Hogsmeade station (or a minimum of the station which performed it in Harry Potter!)
Yorkshire Highway Journey Itinerary
Begin your highway journey within the rolling hills and river valleys of the gorgeous Yorkshire Dales. Go to the Eleventh century Skipton Fort or descend underground to marvel on the formations in White Scar Caves, the longest present collapse England.
Clamber over Brimham Rocks or hike the beautiful panorama round Malham Cove. Browse the impartial outlets within the Victorian spa city of Harrogate.
Locations to go to on the Yorkshire Dales
The Yorkshire Dales are full of engaging waterfalls. Select between the plunging falls round Ingleton, in style Aysgarth Falls or, my favorite waterfall, Hardraw Drive which is England’s highest single drop waterfall. Earlier than leaving the Dales, go to the spectacular monastic ruins and landscaped gardens of Fountains Abbey.
Proceed your highway journey by exploring the historic metropolis of York. This compact metropolis is well navigated on foot and is a perfect location for historical past buffs. You possibly can go to Viking, Roman, Georgian and Victorian websites all in someday!
See the long-lasting York Minster, stroll town’s medieval metropolis partitions and stroll alongside the cobbled Shambles, which has been voted the ‘Greatest Road in Britain’ and was the inspiration behind Diagon Alley from the film adaptation of the Harry Potter sequence!
Highway journey over the Yorkshire Moors
Finish your Yorkshire highway journey with a drive throughout the wild Yorkshire Moors. Take a scenic journey on a steam prepare throughout the Moors to go to charming Goathland prepare station which doubled as Hogsmeade station within the Harry Potter motion pictures. Alternatively, your legs with a hike on the Gap of Horcum, an enormous historic pure amphitheatre.
How lengthy do you have to spend exploring Yorkshire on a highway journey?
You may ‘cowl’ Yorkshire in a few days however to really recognize all it has to supply I’d advocate a minimum of one full week.
When is the perfect time to highway journey to Yorkshire?
Yorkshire might be explored all 12 months around- and anticipate rain at any time! However Spring is unbelievable on the moors- with the wildflowers blooming and the times getting longer, it’s an ideal time to go to. Autumn additionally affords spectacular views with the leaves turning color, offering an unbelievable backdrop.
England Highway Journey Thought – North East Coast
Northern England’s east coast is stuffed with charming cities and villages, and is the right vacation spot for a highway journey.
Greatest locations to go to on a North East coast England highway journey
- Saltburn-by-the-Sea (to seek for fossils)
- Lemon prime ice-cream – Its legacy goes again over 100 years!)
- Staithes- picturesque fishing village
- Whitby Abbey – the inspiration behind Bram Stoker’s Dracula
- Robin Hood’s Bay (the place smuggling was commonplace
- Scarborough Fort
North East England highway journey itinerary
Begin in Saltburn-by-the-sea. You’ll want to seek for fossils all through your go to. I truly discovered one in Saltburn-by-the-Sea, however you will get fortunate in any of the locations on this listing! Saltburn-by-the-Sea is dwelling to the historic Saltburn Cliff Tramway and affords stunning views from the bluffs above city.
You possibly can stroll alongside The Cleveland Means, a historic path that runs by means of every of the 5 places talked about. I’d additionally advocate making an attempt Lemon High Ice Cream, or vanilla ice cream with a dollop of lemon sorbet on prime.
Staithes is a quaint fishing village laden with slim pathways and quirky cottages.
The Whitby Abbey towers above the city, giving it an eerie feeling – it’s even credited because the inspiration behind Bram Stoker’s Dracula!
Robin Hood’s Bay has a protracted historical past with smugglers, and its pink rooftops and crowded buildings conceal hidden routes. In Scarborough, you’ll be able to get pleasure from rides on the Luna Park amusement park or go to the historic Scarborough Fort!
When is the perfect time to highway journey England’s north-east coast?
Though you’ll be able to go to this space all 12 months spherical, I’d counsel visiting in the summertime or fall. It rains a lot of the 12 months on this area of England, however there’s a better probability of sunshine from July by means of October.
How lengthy to spend on this England Highway journey?
You possibly can full this highway journey in lower than 2 hours, however I’d counsel spending a minimum of a couple of days exploring the area. Every Yorkshire coastal city has its personal allure and actions to supply, so that you definitely don’t need to rush!
How far is it from the North east coast to London?
Scarborough to London takes about 5 hours by automotive. Keep away from travelling Friday afternoons or Monday morning- these are the height highway visitors occasions.
Don’t miss Durham
We spent a stunning couple of days exploring town of Durham. There are such a lot of fantastic locations to discover, however one of many highlights for us was Durham Cathedral. This unbelievable constructing was constructed within the Eleventh Century and is the most important surviving stone vaulted ceiling of its dimension.
Nevertheless, if I’m sincere, I used to be extra excited by the truth that a number of scenes in Harry Potter have been filmed right here, together with within the cloisters and lots of the coated walkways.
It was additionally in Durham Cathedral that Harry, Ron and Hermione encounter ‘Fluffy’- the forbidden hall was additionally a part of the cathedral.
Different improbable issues to see in or close to Durham embody:
Beneficial by Tracy | Travels in Time
The Northumberland Coastal route stretches for over 35 miles from Alnmouth within the south to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne within the north.
The drive takes you thru an space of excellent pure magnificence with many stunning villages and locations of curiosity to go to alongside the best way.
How lengthy to spend on a Northumberland coast highway journey
This itinerary covers a day journey however you can spend a couple of days exploring the world and even stroll the Northumberland Coastal Path alongside the identical route in case you are feeling as much as it!
Northumberland highway journey itinerary
The primary village to go to is Craster – well-known for its kippers and neglected by Dunstanburgh Fort. For those who’re on the lookout for spectacular castles in England, Northumberland is the place to go- there are extra castles right here than another county in England!
After exploring Craster and the fort, head to Seahouses. A preferred seaside city for households with plenty of arcades and fish and chip outlets that is the place to cease for a chunk to eat.
If the climate is nice why not hop on a ship over to the Farme Islands? With giant colonies of seals and puffins the islands are in style with nature lovers.
Bamburgh Fort dominates the horizon and is value exploring. It was as soon as the house to the Royal Seat of the Kings of Northumbria and in addition has a ghost or two!
After Bamburgh head to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. Be sure you test the tides earlier than you go- the island is tidal and is barely accessible throughout sure occasions.
As soon as on the island take a stroll as much as the fort. Don’t miss exploring the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory. That is the place well-known as the house of Christianity in England till Viking raids ultimately led to the abandonment of the priory.
When is the perfect time for a Northumberland highway journey?
The most effective time to go to Northumberland and locations in North East England is in the summertime – the times are lengthy and the solar will hopefully be shining! Remember that on events in the course of the summer time a sea fret (mist) can grasp over the coast and funky temperatures and reduce visibility. Be certain to test the climate forecast earlier than you journey.
Wow- anybody else need to leap of their motorhome/ camper/ automotive/ bike and head off to start out exploring? What a improbable listing of England highway journey locations!
As you’ll be able to see, it actually doesn’t matter the place you go or how lengthy you need to discover England- you’ll have loads of locations to get pleasure from. And who knows- subsequent time we set off for Norfolk, we’d even make it there with out swinging by Cornwall first!! 🙂