Dicover three of Berlin’s finest foodie neighborhoods with my private suggestions on native favourite eating places, bars and cafés
A mecca of artists, bohemians and Europe’s inventive class, Berlin is an outdated, historic metropolis made new once more because of a torn-down wall, a reunified nation, and an inflow of younger folks from all over the world.
Whether or not for world-class nightlife, new tech start-ups, distinctive vogue, cutting-edge artwork, or worldwide meals, guests typically fall in love with Berlin’s distinctive vibe, staying longer than anticipated and returning often.
Berlin is probably not often called a typical foodie metropolis, however through the years I’ve lived right here, I’ve positively observed an enchancment within the high quality and amount of excellent locations to eat.
In 2015, Berlin was famously declared the vegetarian capital of the world…not one thing you’d usually determine with the capital of Germany. However that’s the meals scene right here: at all times stunning and surprisingly scrumptious!
I’ve put collectively a downloadable PDF foodie information to Berlin – you will get it free HERE by coming into this week’s foodie Berlin contest. However, within the meantime, let me share a few of my favourite foodie Berlin suggestions…
Berlin’s Greatest Foodie Neighborhoods
* * *
Kreuzberg is the hipster epicenter of Berlin, so it’s no marvel that the neighborhood has turn into one of many metropolis’s premiere foodie hotspots. However whereas a lot of the vacationers and hipsters flock to Oranienstrasse bars and low-cost eats, the true foodies discover consolation within the tasty and inexpensive eating places of Bergmannkiez.
The neighborhood, or kiez, has it’s foodie heart within the Marheineke market corridor on the finish of Bergmannstrasse. The encompassing streets of Mehringdamm and Gneisenaustraße provide an enormous vary of worldwide eating places and comfy bars. Plus you’ll even discover vegan currywurst right here!
Foodie hotspots in Bergmannkiez:
- Knoffi – A well-liked middle-eastern restaurant with big plates of mezze nice for sharing between a bunch. Common for brunches and for his or her vegan choices.
- Bergmann Curry – This imbiss (snack) stand doesn’t have any indoor seating, however that’s okay as a result of the meals is fast. Although they’ve common currywurst, in addition they serve vegan varieties.
- Marheineke Market Corridor – Almost 50 retailers have outlets on this meals market corridor. Value wandering by to seek out what smells good to you – nice for contemporary groceries, too!
- Bergmannkiez Meals Tour – Strive the self-guided meals tour from Bitemojo for a style of the Bergmannkiez’s finest eating places and eateries. The 25€ tour consists of six bites from six totally different eateries, together with wine!
* * *
I’ve bought plenty of love for the Hackescher Markt space within the heart of Berlin. Even with its throngs of vacationers, there are nonetheless plenty of hidden native gems to be discovered on this space. The realm has a historical past of attracting different and subculture scenes.
Considered one of my favourite cafés within the space, Café Cinema has a small patio in a single hof (courtyard) the place you may take pleasure in good espresso in a reasonably cool setting. All the courtyard is roofed from ground to ceiling with graffiti and avenue artwork. Somewhat additional afield and nearer to Rosa-Luxembourg Platz, you’ll discover a lot of low-cost eateries (Dolores is an area favourite for these craving burritos).
Foodie hotspots in & close to Hackescher Markt:
- Father Carpenter – Well-known for his or her espresso, this beautifully-designed café is ready inside one of many interior courtyards offering it with a quiet and comfy ambiance. Brunch choices are good, too!
- Mitte Meals Tour – This self-guided meals tour from Bitemojo consists of six meals tastings at a few of these eating places (together with one in all my favourite cupcakes in Berlin!) for simply 25€, plus an important introduction to this space’s finest (and surprisingly hidden) vacationer sights.
* * *
Neukölln, despite the fact that it’s within the south of Berlin and rather less well-connected than different neighborhoods, nonetheless is one in all my favourite components of Berlin.
Within the space the place Neukölln meets the Kreuzberg neighborhood (lovingly known as Kreuzkölln), there are a lot of nice eating places, bars and cafés, nevertheless should you go even a bit additional south, south of Hermannplatz, you’ll discover much more foodie hotspots – and much fewer vacationers.
Foodie hotspots in Neukölln:
- Prachtwerk – A spot for music, artwork and meals, Prachtwerk is a well-liked hangout day and evening with native, craft beers, good espresso (from 5 Elephant) and an über-cool house for artists, DJs and musicians.
- Twinpigs – Neukölln has its huge decide of bars, however Twinpigs with its nice, traditional cocktails and comfy inside (candlelit tables) is an area favourite.
- MAMA KALO – Only a few blocks from Templehof park, this neighborhood restaurant options an modern, top-quality delicacies in a pleasant ambiance. Strive their flammkuchen!
- Neukölln Vegetarian Meals Tour – I took this meals tour with Bitemojo not too long ago and purposefully wished a vegetarian meals tour so I may strive some totally different eating places than I would usually go to. Neukölln is a large hipster hotspot, so it’s no shock that there are such a lot of vegetarian and vegan eating places within the neighborhood – and the tour with Bitemojo was an important introduction to Neukölln’s burgeoning meals scene. Strive the tour for simply 25€ with six meals tastings and ensure to say TRAVELSOFADAM when reserving!
* * *
FREE FOODIE GUIDE TO BERLIN
Get a free foodie information to Berlin, tailored from the Berlin Hipster Metropolis Information, in a useful, downloadable PDF – Particulars right here. Cowl picture by Kfir Harbi for Bitemojo.