Some posts on this web site comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For those who e-book or purchase one thing by means of these hyperlinks, I earn a small fee (at no further price to you). Check out my privateness coverage for extra data.
Just a few ideas that can assist you keep away from altitude illness when you’re travelling in Peru – and the remainder of South America.
Most of the hottest locations in Peru are at pretty excessive altitudes within the Andes mountain vary – like Cusco and Machu Picchu.
As well as, there are lots of trekking routes all through South America which contain mountains or volcanoes that may also take you 1000’s of toes above sea stage.
Visiting excessive altitudes could trigger altitude illness, which may have an effect on anybody not used to increased elevations. For those who’re travelling to Peru or planning a mountain trek within the Andes, it’s a good suggestion to arrange for altitude illness…
What’s Altitude Illness?
Altitude illness happens when your physique doesn’t get sufficient oxygen from the air at excessive altitudes. It normally happens at 2,500m above sea stage or increased, however it may have an effect on individuals in another way.
Signs embody complications, lack of urge for food, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, insomnia and never sleeping properly, and exhaustion or weak spot.
In my expertise in Cusco, individuals had been most affected by the ultimate symptom. I had little or no power whereas I used to be at altitude, and located easy issues like strolling upstairs or mild hills extremely draining.
Curiously, your age, intercourse, and health ranges don’t have anything to do with whether or not or not you’ll get altitude illness. Some persons are fully unaffected, others are hit tremendous arduous. So it’s a good suggestion to be ready if you happen to’re not used to excessive altitudes.
Altitudes in Peru: Locations The place Illness May be a Downside
Based on the NHS, signs of altitude illness normally develop between 6 and 24 hours after reaching altitudes greater than 2,500m above sea stage.
In Peru, a number of the hottest locations are discovered at these altitudes:
- Cusco – 3,400m (11,200ft) above sea stage
- Machu Picchu – 2,430m (7,972 ft)
- Inca Trek – the very best level on the path is 4200m (13,776 ft)
- Arequipa – 2,335m (7,660ft)
- Colca Canyon – the trekking route from Arequipa to Colca Canyon reaches altitudes of 4,870 m (15,685 ft) at Mirador de los Andes.
- Lake Titicaca – 3,812m (12,507ft)
- Huaraz – 3,052m (10,013ft)
Put together for Altitude Illness in Peru
There’s no manner of realizing how badly you’ll be affected, and consultants say it has nothing to do together with your health stage. However, it’s protected to imagine that once you hit a metropolis like Cusco at 11,152ft above sea stage, you’ll be affected in at the very least a small manner.
Fortunately, there are some issues you are able to do to put together for altitude illness.
Keep away from Altitude Illness in Peru…
Permit time to acclimatise at an intermediate altitude earlier than going to the upper cities – will probably be price it to keep away from shedding just a few days to illness once you arrive at your final vacation spot.
For those who can, journey overland to Cusco (or whichever metropolis you’re headed to) and spend a few nights someplace halfway. For those who’re backpacking, I extremely advocate taking the Peru Hop bus from Lima to Cusco. It’s a very enjoyable expertise and an effective way to fulfill different travellers. Learn my evaluation of the Peru Hop expertise for more information.
Earlier than arriving at altitude, you also needs to drink loads of water and eat numerous carbs, to arrange your physique with loads of power.
Ideas for Dealing With Altitude Illness in Peru & South America
When you arrive at your ultimate vacation spot, spend just a few days taking issues simple when you end acclimatising. Listed here are my high ideas for coping with altitude illness in Peru – and anyplace else chances are you’ll go to within the Andes.
Be aware: I’m not a medical skilled, however this recommendation is backed up by the NHS and my very own experiences, and none of it should endanger you.
- Take it simple. Stroll slowly and keep away from train.
- Take deep breaths.
- Keep away from alcohol. For at the very least the primary few days, anyway!
- Don’t smoke, take medication, or use sleeping tablets.
- Keep hydrated.
- Keep away from huge meals and heavy meals at evening. Digestion happens at a a lot slower fee at altitude, so go for small parts, and eat your largest meal of the day at lunch as a substitute of dinner. Your intestine will thanks.
- Drink coca tea. Yep, tea produced from the identical coca leaves that make cocaine. There’s a stimulant in them (non-dangerous) which supplies you an power increase and genuinely alleviates the signs of altitude illness.
- Eat extra sugar! The NHS recommends consuming extra energy while at altitude, and sugar is a pleasant, fast manner to do this. I additionally discovered that sweets and sugary drinks gave a pleasant power increase and made me really feel significantly better for just a few hours.
Altitude Illness in Peru
Whereas altitude illness may be fairly disagreeable, it received’t final without end. And there are a number of issues you are able to do to assist fight it!
No matter you do, don’t let it put you off travelling within the Andes when you’re in Peru. The Andean landscapes are among the many most stunning on this planet. Hopefully, you received’t be affected all that badly by altitude illness.
Be aware – extreme altitude illness is a medical emergency. In case your signs worsen, or don’t enhance after just a few days, it’s best to descend to a decrease altitude and/or search medical assist.
So, there you’ve got it: just a few easy tips about tips on how to keep away from and deal with altitude illness in Peru. In case you have a query – or a tip of your personal – scroll down to go away a remark!