Easy elements pack a flavorful punch in one among our favourite tenting breakfast concepts! This Savory Dutch Child tenting recipe will be served for breakfast or as mild lunch with a aspect salad.
The bacon and pepper jack cheese give this savory Dutch child its salty richness. You may eat it with a fork or choose it up like a slice of pizza! It’s one among my simple one pot tenting meals.
Cooking Strategies & Gear
- To make this as one among our simple campfire recipes: For conventional out of doors cooking, you’ll want a 12-Inch, 6 Quart Solid Iron Dutch Oven to make this Dutch child utilizing campfire coals or charcoal briquettes.
- To make this as one among our camp range recipes: To make use of a 12-inch Dutch oven with a propane camp range, you’ll want to make use of a dome for the baking course of. I’ve an total publish with a VIDEO to point out you easy methods to prepare dinner with a Dutch oven dome & warmth diffuser plate.
- To make this in an RV kitchen: If you wish to fry the bacon on a range prime then bake the pancake in an RV oven, you’ll be able to simply use a forged iron skillet.
Step 1. Get your coals began and pre-heat your camp Dutch oven. Get your coals prepared for cooking.
Whether or not you might be utilizing campfire coals or charcoal briquettes, you’ll be baking this savory Dutch child at 425 levels in a 12-inch camp Dutch oven which would require 31 coals complete = 21 on prime of the lid/10 under the underside of the oven.
When I’m utilizing briquettes, I discover it best to get them prepared with my Speedy Fireplace Chimney Starter as a result of it’s quick, environment friendly and does not require any lighter fluid. Take a look at my total publish with VIDEO to study easy methods to use a charcoal chimney.
Step 2. Mix egg combination. In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, flour, pink pepper flakes, salt and pepper, put aside.
Camp Cooking Tip: A standard Dutch child batter is combined with a blender which removes the entire flour lumps however on the campsite, you are able to do it manually by utilizing a fork to mash the flour lumps.
Step 3. Fry the bacon. Now, you’re going to fry the bacon in your oven or skillet till it’s crisp. Then you’ll take away the bacon to a paper towel to let it drain. Let bacon cool barely then crumble and put aside.
DO depart the bacon grease within the Dutch oven. That is the fats that may make your Savory Dutch Child good and crispy on the backside and the bacon fats gives a ton of taste.
Step 4. Add egg combination. Now you’re going to pour the egg combination evenly excessive of the bacon grease within the pre-heated camp Dutch oven. You don’t must stir it as a result of it is going to settle within the backside of the Dutch oven naturally.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you end up making ready Dutch oven tenting recipes, be sure to are cooking on a stage floor so while you pour the batter into the oven, it is going to unfold evenly and never puddle on one aspect of the oven.
Step 5. Cowl and bake. Cowl with lid and bake at 425 F levels till this pancake puffs-up and is cooked by means of, about quarter-hour.
Camp Cooking Tip: Rotate the oven and lid in reverse instructions all through the cooking course of. Verify our Dutch oven camp cooking suggestions for extra info.
Step 6. Add toppings. Take away cowl and prime with crumbled bacon, cheese, inexperienced onion and rosemary. Substitute cowl and proceed cooking till cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
When I’m cooking with my Dutch oven, I exploit a lid lifter to take away the lid throughout cooking in addition to rotating the lid and oven for even baking. It’s so a lot simpler to deal with the recent cookware with a lid lifter.
Step 7. Serve it. Take away the pot from the warmth, slice and serve scorching.
In case you have leftovers place in an hermetic container and preserve refrigerated. It makes a very nice mild lunch served chilly or reheated with a refreshing aspect salad.
After I’m serving this for breakfast, I normally have some recent fruit on the aspect with espresso and orange juice. If I wish to get just a little fancy, I’ll make my Contemporary Summer season Fruit Tossed In Honey Mint Syrup.
If I’ve a bigger group, I like serving a candy baked good too. Listed here are a few of my favorites:
- Dutch Oven Espresso Cake: It begins with a boxed cake combine that’s jazzed-up with cinnamon sugar, made moist with bitter cream and dusted with confectioners sugar.
- Blueberry Lemon Dutch Oven Muffins: These simple home made muffins are drizzled with a scrumptious glaze. It’s superb what a squeeze of lemon and just a little vanilla extract can do when mixed with powdered sugar!
- Dutch Oven Cinnamon Rolls: There’s no yeast concerned with these scrumptious rolls. I exploit frozen unbaked dough dinner rolls so no rolling is required both. Simply pour melted butter and heavy cream over the dough balls, add brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts and bake. Drizzle a easy cream cheese frosting and serve with a chilly glass of complete milk or a cup of heat espresso.
This Dutch child pancake recipe is a nice “brunch” dish so when it’s on my menu as one among my simple tenting lunches, I’ve a pleasant recent inexperienced salad on the aspect.
My Lemon Blueberry Topped Campfire Dutch Child is so yummy. It combines recent blueberries, lemon zest and juice to create scrumptious macerated recent berries which are topped with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. I serve this with a aspect of breakfast sausage or bacon for my meat-loving campers.
This German pancake is a breakfast we serve all 12 months however it’s particularly yummy as one among our winter tenting recipes as a result of it’s heat, savory and satisfying. I’ve a comparable choice that may be served with a candy (maple syrup) or savory (salsa) topping. This Swedish Oven Pancake is a cross between a popover and a crepe.
Print This Recipe
Savory Dutch Child Dutch Oven Tenting Recipe
Tenting For Foodies Breakfast Tenting Recipes: Savory Dutch Child Dutch Oven Tenting Recipe
- 4 slices thick bacon crumbled
- 3 giant eggs crushed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to style
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 inexperienced onion sliced skinny
- 1/2 teaspoon recent rosemary minced (or 1/8 teaspoon dried)
Stop your display from going darkish
Get your coals prepared for cooking. Whether or not you might be utilizing campfire coals or charcoal briquettes, you’ll be baking this savory Dutch child Dutch oven tenting recipe at 425 levels.
Pre-heat your 12-inch camp Dutch oven to 425 levels (31 coals complete = 21 prime/10 backside). Ensure you are cooking on a stage floor.
In a medium bowl, mix eggs, milk, flour, pink pepper flakes, salt and pepper, put aside. Use a fork to mash the flour lumps, if essential.
With all coals beneath, fry bacon in camp Dutch oven till crisp and take away to paper towel to let drain. Go away the bacon grease within the Dutch oven. Let bacon cool barely then crumble and put aside.
Pour egg combination evenly excessive of the bacon grease within the pre-heated oven. Cowl and bake at 425 F levels (transfer 21 coals to the highest of the lid/depart 10 coals under the underside of the oven) till this savory Dutch child puffs and is cooked by means of, about quarter-hour.
Rotate the oven and lid in reverse instructions all through the cooking course of for even baking.
Take away lid, sprinkle the crumbled bacon, cheese, inexperienced onion and rosemary on the pancake. Substitute lid and proceed cooking till cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
Take away from warmth, slice and serve scorching.
Serving: 1gEnergy: 326kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 14gFats: 21gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 158mgSodium: 348mgPotassium: 219mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 416IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 129mgIron: 2mg